It’s Summertime and a time for outside parties and BBQs  – but remember your fun and games can be ruining others peace. There have recently been an increasing number of complaints about unacceptable noisy behaviour in the community so a restatement of the obvious seems necessary.

East Devon District Council are responsible for Environmental Health – and that includes NOISE the following is an extract from their web site:-


We consider that our residents can reasonably expect:

  • to enjoy a night’s sleep undisturbed by noise;
  • to enjoy peace at home without having to hear someone else’s excessive noise on a regular basis (e.g.. music, barking dogs, alarms, and DIY activities);
  • to be protected from significant loss of amenity due to excessive noise and vibration;
  • to have qualified professional staff available where necessary, to assess nuisance; and
  • to have out-of-hours visits when necessary, to assess any such nuisance.

Making a complaint

You can make a complaint to us about noise and other nuisances

  • in person at the Council Offices
  • by telephone on the numbers at the top of the page
  • in writing to: The Head of Environmental Health & Equalities, East Devon District Council, Council Offices, Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL
  • via a third party such as a District Councillor (Cllrs Atkins and Ingham).

Anonymous complaints will not normally be investigated.

We have an out-of-hours service available 24 hours a day at weekends and Bank Holidays and between 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 a.m. Monday to Friday. For out of hours complaints please telephone 01395 516854.
Importantly if you are having a party or BBQ tell (or invite) your neighbours and be considerate; as a neighbour show restraint and remember you may be the party holder next time.

Fore more information on noise click HERE and regarding DIY Noise HERE

For further information on all other environmental pollution including smoke, dust, animals etc. click HERE

News Archives