It’s Summertime and a time for outside parties and BBQs – but remember your fun and games can be ruining others peace. There have recently been an increasing number of complaints about unacceptable noisy behaviour in the community so a restatement of the obvious seems necessary.
East Devon District Council are responsible for Environmental Health – and that includes NOISE the following is an extract from their web site:-
We consider that our residents can reasonably expect:
- to enjoy a night’s sleep undisturbed by noise;
- to enjoy peace at home without having to hear someone else’s excessive noise on a regular basis (e.g.. music, barking dogs, alarms, and DIY activities);
- to be protected from significant loss of amenity due to excessive noise and vibration;
- to have qualified professional staff available where necessary, to assess nuisance; and
- to have out-of-hours visits when necessary, to assess any such nuisance.
Making a complaint
You can make a complaint to us about noise and other nuisances
- in person at the Council Offices
- by telephone on the numbers at the top of the page
- in writing to: The Head of Environmental Health & Equalities, East Devon District Council, Council Offices, Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL
- via a third party such as a District Councillor (Cllrs Atkins and Ingham).
Anonymous complaints will not normally be investigated.
We have an out-of-hours service available 24 hours a day at weekends and Bank Holidays and between 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 a.m. Monday to Friday. For out of hours complaints please telephone 01395 516854.
Importantly if you are having a party or BBQ tell (or invite) your neighbours and be considerate; as a neighbour show restraint and remember you may be the party holder next time.
For further information on all other environmental pollution including smoke, dust, animals etc. click HERE