Villagers celebrated the 150th anniversary of Sowden Lane allotments in style on Sunday 23rd April with a sell-out cream tea event for over 90 people at the Village Hall. Plot holders past and present enjoyed homemade sandwiches, followed by homemade scones and Celebration Cake.
There was entertainment from Two Metres Plus (John Welton, Graham Banks and Sue Harmes) and a bumper raffle with many prizes donated by plot holders, including our local artists and local businesses: The Redwing; Lympstone Manor; Greenfingers and the Blue Sea Food Company.
The short talk by Carrie about the history of the charity revealed that the Sowden Lane site was created 150 years ago but the charity is, in fact, 191 years old as it was founded in 1832 by the then Lord of the Manor, a descendant of the Drake family. The original site was at the far end of the Parish off Hulham Road. So, in nine years’ time, we can have another cream tea!