Lympstone’s finest and most ancient building is the parish church – The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Originally built in Norman times, the present tower dates from 1409, and the rest from 1864. The cost of maintaining and repairing such a large and ancient building is significant, and the Friends of Lympstone Church exists to raise money to help with those expenses.
Two events organised by the Friends in May and June contributed to their funds. Lympstone Academy Brass attracted a large audience to the church, and thrilled them with their enthusiastic playing of a varied programme under the baton of their Director of Music, Roger Riggs, who made sure that his players, young and older, received the applause that was due to them.
The weather remained fine for the Cricket Match at St Peter’s wonderful ground, although threatening clouds and a lively breeze kept the good crowd alert, as did the cricket. Lympstone posted a match record score of 194 in their 20 overs, and St Peter’s slumped to 30 for 6, before a spirited recovery took them over the century mark too. But unlike the clouds, they never threatened.
A lively raffle with excellent prizes, the bar, the barbecue and ice creams all helped to boost the takings for the church. The tower should survive for another year, its 614th.